Sep 28, 2008

Fall Favorites

Caramel apples, football games, pumpkin cookies, perfect weather, pumpkin patches...I love this time of year! Yesterday we drove down to Woodland Hills (south of Provo 20 minutes in the mountains up above Spanish Fork) to my parents to help with some landscaping and I was amazed at how beautiful the drive was. I love seeing all the leaves changing. I can't wait to see more of it. I also love that it's time to start busting out the sweaters (which I appreciate even more with all the extra poundage from this baby!), my favorite soup recipes and the Halloween decorations. I thought I'd just share a few of fall favorites.


Arizona Corn Chowder
In large pot, saute the following ingredients (it will be a paste):
2 Tbsp Flour
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tsp ground cumin
1 medium onion--chopped

Stir in & bring to a boil:
1 can corn--drained
1 can chicken broth
1 16 oz. jar of salsa
1 large can chicken (or 2 shredded chicken breasts)

Add: 1 8 oz package of cream cheese
When cream cheese is melted, add:
1 cup of milk
Garnish with cilantro and sour cream. Enjoy!



Homemade Caramel

This is the best caramel recipe (thank you, Kelli McDonald!). I love to make caramel apples with this recipe, then used the extra for caramel popcorn. Both are delicious! (Warning: it is dangerously addicting!)

Mix together the following ingredients & bring to a boil:
1/2 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cups corn syrup
When boiling, add:
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
Boil on medium high heat for about 15-20 minutes or until the caramel forms a soft ball when a little bit is dropped into cold water. Remove from heat, then add:1 tsp. vanilla
Let stand for 5 minutes before dipping apples.




Easiest Ever Pumpkin Cookies

This is a weight watchers recipe that I got from my friend Christy. So, basically it's "good" for you. You'll lose weight even thinking about making them! If you make it without the chocolate chips, I think you can have 4 cookies for 1 point. Anyway, I really like this recipe for 2 reasons--1. they taste great and 2. they have very few ingredients and are super easy to make! Here's the recipe



1 box of spice cake mix (which is on sale at Albertsons right now for $1/box)
1 15 oz can pumpkin
Optional: 1/2 bag of mini chocolate morsels

Mix ingredients together and spoon onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 7-10 minutes, depending on how soft you like your cookies.

2 comments:

MaryClaire Brown said...

such a cute blog especially because it, like your life, is mostly about such a cute little girl. thanks for the visit today...i'm so excited about the chance to get to know you better. and, personally i love the bows and flowers. my mom jokes that natalie never leaves the house without a bow or flower in her hair, and it's been that way since she was born.

Celia said...

I have been dying to find a good new soup recipe and corn chowder sounds right up my alley! You saved my day -- thank you!

Sienna's blessing pictures are adorable. It looks like she just gets cuter and cuter. Is that possible?