Apr 8, 2010

Liz's Cranberry Salad

I'm trying to get all my favorite recipes on my blog so I don't lose them and have them all in one place. This is my sis-in-law Liz's yummy cranberry salad (definitely more like dessert!). SOOOOO tasty!

2 bags cranberries
1.5 cups sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 medium green apples, grated
1 cup orange juice (I use pulpless)
1 20 oz. can crushed pineapple (thoroughly drained)
3 small packages raspberry jello
2 8 oz. packages cream cheese
1 pint whipping cream
1 cup hot water

Chop cranberries (I use the pulse setting on my food processor. You could also use a Pampered Chef chopper).
Pour sugar over the cranberries and stir to melt the sugar. Add grated apple and pineapple. Dissolve jello in hot water (very hot water) and add the orange juice. Combine the jello with the cranberry mixture, cover, and thicken in the refrigerator. YOU SHOULD COMPLETE THIS STEP THE DAY BEFORE THANKSGIVING; THE JELLO HAS TO SET UP.

To prepare the whipped cream mixture, whip the cream cheese with a little sugar and vanilla. Once it is sufficiently soft, add the whipping cream and whip until stiff.

In a serving bowl, alternate layers of cranberry mixture, creamed cheese/whipped cream mixture, and chopped pecans. End with a large layer of whipped cream on top. Garnish with half pecans.

No comments: