Nov 19, 2008

Corn Chowder

This is my new favorite, so I had to share!

Corn Chowder
4 Tbs. butter
3/4 c. onion, chopped
1 c. celery, diced
2 1/2 c. hot water
2 c. potatoes, peeled and cubed OR 2 c. potato flakes/pearls and an additional 2 c. water
4 c. frozen corn
2 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste (I like lots of pepper!)
3 Tbs. flour
1 quart 1/2 and 1/2 (I've also used evaporated milk)

In large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and celery, saute for 5 minutes.Add hot water, potatoes, corn, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer for approximately 30 minutes, only 15 minutes if using potato flakes. Whisk the flour into 1 c. of the half and half. Add to soup. Add remaining half and half. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes. I like mine pretty thick, you can correct the consistency with more potato flakes, or more water if it is too thick.
This soup freezes well, just add more water when reheating it.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Mmmm, I'll have to try that!