Mar 19, 2009

The Hiding Place

For those of you who haven't read it, the Hiding Place, by Corrie Tenboom is an incredible book. I read it ages ago (like maybe in High school?) but didn't remember too much about it. We read it for my neighborhood book club this month and I am so glad that we did. It's written by a Holicaust survivor, so obviously, it is filled with much sadness and grief. Yet somehow amidst the sorrow, there is light, hope, gratitude and faith. I read most of it while we were on our flight back from California, so I had Sienna asleep in one arm and had the book in the other, so I couldn't take notes or mark any pages, but I will tell you that this book has the most amazing quotes--the kind that if you could really understand them and apply them in your life, it would completely life-altering. So, if you haven't read it, you need to. Seriously, you'll love it. Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book.

I don't know...But if God has shown us bad times ahead, it's enough for me that He knows about them. That's why He sometimes shows us things, you know--to tell us that this too is in His hands.

Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our path, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see.


Any concern too small to be turned into a prayer is too small to be made into a burden.


When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don’t throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength

Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible.

Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to an known God.

The first step on the way to victory is to recognize the enemy.

If God has called you, do not spend time looking over your shoulder to see who is following.

2 comments:

The Wehrweins said...

That is a great book! My mom recommended it to me back in High school. I loved it...amid all of the tears. :)

deb said...

Wow, those are really inspiring quotes. I will have to check this one out. Thanks for the recommendation.